Catholic Schools Onward
Best Practices and New Opportunities as We Move Forward
(Please note that as current information becomes available this page will be updated – 08.11.2020.)
CSO Home | Introduction | Philosophy | Process
These guidelines are written with the goal of keeping the integrity of quality Physical Education programs while navigating through a “new normal”. Physical Educators should work with their Administrators to formulate protocols that fall in line with the following guidelines:
Physical education is an integral part of the curriculum in an elementary school and essential that it continue safely.
- Weather permitting, PE class held in outside space. Weather non-permitting, PE in the Gymnasium is preferred, PE class in classroom if needed.
- Hand washing before and after activity.
- It is preferred that students are carrying personal water bottles for hydration before, during and after activity.
- PE teachers should be trained thoroughly in sanitizing protocols set out by local schools.
- Class equipment sanitized frequently (arrange class times to allow for buffer between classes to allow teacher to facilitate moving, washing and sanitizing).
- When equipment sanitizing is not feasible, consider quarantining used equipment for 3 days or more before being used again.
- Limit shared items or keep same groupings throughout lessons.
- Consider tracking the use of equipment so it is having a break period between uses.
- Consider designating resources to each class that only they use.
- Considerations for lesson planning:
- Emphasize teaching personal health and safety and being responsible for equipment use.
- Emphasize teaching personal skill development and personal fitness concepts to promote physical distancing.
- Use social distancing activities and face coverings when social distancing is not possible.
Return to CSO Home …