Catholic Schools Onward
Best Practices and New Opportunities as We Move Forward
(Please note that as current information becomes available this page will be updated – 07.24.2020.)
CSO Home | Introduction | Philosophy | Process
These guidelines are written with the goal of keeping the integrity of quality Physical Education programs while navigating through a “new normal.” Physical Educators should work with their Administrators to formulate protocols that fall in line with the following guidelines.
Physical education is an integral part of the curriculum in an elementary school and essential that it continue safely.
- Weather permitting, PE class held in outside space. Weather non-permitting, PE in the Gymnasium is preferred, PE class in classroom if needed
- Hand washing before and after activity
- It is preferred that students are carrying personal water bottles for hydration before, during and after activity.
- PE teachers should be trained thoroughly in sanitizing protocols set out by local schools.
- Class equipment sanitized frequently (arrange class times to allow for buffer between classes to allow teacher to facilitate moving, washing and sanitizing).
- When equipment sanitizing is not feasible, consider quarantining used equipment for 3 days or more before being used again.
- Limit shared items or keep same groupings throughout lessons.
- Consider tracking the use of equipment so it is having a break period between uses.
- Consider designating resources to each class that only they use.
- Considerations for lesson planning:
- Emphasize teaching personal health and safety and being responsible for equipment use
- Emphasize teaching personal skill development and personal fitness concepts to promote physical distancing
- Whenever possible, use social distancing activities and face coverings when social distancing is not possible.
Return to CSO Home …