Catholic Schools Onward
Best Practices and New Opportunities as We Move Forward
VIRTUAL LEARNING – INDIVIDUAL INSTRUCTION
(Please note that as current information becomes available this page will be updated – 06.25.2020.)
CSO Home | Introduction | Philosophy | Process | Checklist | Other Considerations
While we realize that in-person instruction has greater impact at the elementary level, the need for virtual learning has become a reality in a variety of circumstances including the pandemic-related quarantines. Physical presence in the classroom allows time for students to develop spiritually, socially, emotionally, physically, and academically. When this is not possible, it is important to provide a means for student learning without interruption.
This guidance is for situations in which a child cannot attend class. This may be because a parent is not comfortable sending their child to school or because the child has to do a limited time of quarantine.
The term “virtual learning” refers to instructional practices being utilized so a child can access what is taking place with his /her class by means of connecting virtually to the classroom in realtime.
- Provide the use of a Learning Management System to centralize materials, lessons, instruction. assessments, feedback and communications
- Provide a direct video connection to the classroom during the period the child is unable to attend class.
- Child is able to receive direct instruction by teacher
- Use textbook online components with timely follow-up
- Use of assessments with timely feedback
- Goal is mastery of curriculum so the child stays current and can return prepared to rejoin the class.
- Regular communication with parents/guardians
- Prepare administrators, teachers, students and parents to use Learning Management System
- Identify and provide needed devices to use platform
- Utilize one system throughout the school rather than a variety of systems so parents and others have consistency when there are several students in the same household. (Note: Students in a family can be linked in one platform)
- Keep in focus the Standards for Ministerial Behavior.
Return to CSO Home …